Percival Everett by Virgil Russell

Percival Everett by Virgil Russell - Percival Everett Two or three days into my second reading of Percival Everett by Virgil Russell. [I might add to or change this review in a few days.]

A friend of mine once said of the novel Terra Nostra, by Carlos Fuentes, that it was either one of literature's greatest accomplishments or it was a giant pile of excrement, and that he would never know which. My friend was a very smart guy, and he was proud of being smart, and in his comment I heard "If I can't parse this thing, who can?" That's a little bit like how I'm feeling about Percival Everett by Virgil Russell.

The thing that these two novels have in common is that they are books in conversation with other books, and not necessarily with me, the current reader. This sometimes feels like an affront. It makes me want to shake my fist at the author and say "HEY! PE! I'm the person reading this, not stupid Gottlob Frege!"

But after my initial outrage at not being the center of attention, I'm finding it very rewarding and stimulating to be eavesdropping on this conversation. A lot of it goes over my head, but just trying to follow along is a powerful experience.